HOW YOU CAN HELP: Thanks to a 14-year-old high school freshman, a community is rallying around a Glen Rock family whose home was damaged beyond repair by fire over the weekend.
The mother, daughter and 7th-grade granddaughter “lost all of their belongings except for the clothes on their backs,” said Nick Jennings after the 1 a.m. second-floor bedroom fire on Saturday spread through the 2½-story Dean Street house, displacing three residents and their dog.
They were staying in a Route 208 hotel and seeking a rental in Glen Rock while they look to rebuild.
Meanwhile, local families were collecting toiletries, clothing and gift cards, a fundraiser was being scheduled at a local restaurant and Jennings has established a You Caring page “to give back to a great family who lost everything”: CLICK HERE TO DONATE
A night light apparently sparked the fire, which ignited the bedroom curtains, officials said.
Smoke detectors immediately sounded and the young girl woke her mother and grandmother. All got out safely — including the family dog, fire officials said.
The blaze eventually blew through the attic before it was declared under control 2½ hours later.
Joining Glen Rock firefighters at the scene were Fair Lawn FAST and colleagues from Hawthorne, Midland Park and Ridgewood, with Paramus providing mutual aid. Ridgewood police and the Glen Rock Volunteer Ambulance Corps also responded.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.