DARIEN, Conn. -- In the wake of several burglaries reported at homes under various stages of construction, Darien police have issued an advisory to homeowners and contractors.
Items such as newly installed kitchen appliances, copper gutters, power tools and construction supplies have been stolen from a number of sites, often sustaining tens of thousands of dollars in losses, police said.
Many of the burglaries occur overnight.
Homeowners and contractors should be aware that measures can be taken to minimize the chance of being victimized, police said.
Police advise that items being delivered to sites be securely stored.
Contractors should consider employing security services until items can be installed or secured from theft.
Police said the following tips can also help maintain a secure site:
- Post warning signs to keep unauthorized persons off the site.
- Consider video monitoring.
- Do not leave tools, equipment or supplies visible or accessible.
- Use only high-quality locks; never leave keys in locks, or leave locks in an open position.
- Keep neighbors informed.
- Provide for nighttime lighting.
Those whose properties are burglarized or who have items stolen are asked to contact the Darien Police Department immediately at 203-662-5300.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.