DARIEN, Conn. -- The Darien Community Association had a financial workshop -- “From Allowance to Independence: Learn Ways to Increase Your Young Adult’s Financial Intelligence” -- Thursday.
Attendees learned practical financial skills that college students and graduates need to transition to independence and ensure success both in college and careers.
Topics covered included:
- Setting expectations for working and earning spending money.
- Understanding the cost of college and options for paying, including federal student loans.
- Obtaining and living with a credit card of their own, including obtaining a credit score.
- Basic budget techniques and tools.
- First job earnings and signing up for a 401(k).
This financial workshop was led by chartered retirement planning counselor and CPA Karen Goersch of Ameriprise Financial.
The Darien Community Association is at 274 Middlesex Road, Darien.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.