PUBLIC SAFETY: Although it began warming after noon today, temperatures headed back south after 2 o’clock, creating the potential for a carbon copy of this morning’s demolition derby.
Temperatures that reached 40 degrees didn’t melt ice “because the ground is frozen solid,” said Sean Sweeney, an emergency management expert.
“There will be no sun today, so the ground cannot warm up,” Sweeney said. “Several days of sub-freezing temps will do that.”
The mercury was expected to drop below freezing around 4 p.m.
“Even if the roads are salted, it is raining too hard for it to be effective,” Sweeney said. “It just washes away before it can work.
“It get worse: The rain will change to sleet and snow north of 287, with rain elsewhere. This will compound the road issues.”
* * * * * *
EXCLUSIVE VIDEO/PHOTOS: Unable to get a stretcher to him, a Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corps member and bystanders used a blanket to drag a 58-year-old man in the early stages of a heart attack on a blanket to a waiting ambulance following a more than 30-car pileup caused by a jack-knifed tractor trailer on Route 95 in Teaneck this morning, CLIFFVIEW PILOT video shows. CLICK HERE….
* * * * * *
• No injuries when as many as 10 vehicles, including an NJ Transit bus, were involved in a chain-reaction crash on Teaneck Avenue near DeGraw;
• 20 crashes in two and a half hour’s time, beginning around 7:30 a.m. in Lyndhurst;
• No fewer than three crashes on Route 208 south just before Saddle River Road;
• A four-car crash in Norwood at the corner of Blanch and Tappan;
• Several vehicles damaged on Miller Road near Fire Co. 1 in Mahwah. READ MORE….
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.