ONLY ON CVP: Two cats died despite valiant efforts by emergency responders to revive them during a Ridgewood basement fire today.
The South Pleasant Avenue homeowners rescued a dog in the 3 p.m. blaze, which apparently was caused by an open chimney cleanout door. The cats were found on the second floor.
Responding along with village firefighters, police and EMS workers were Waldwick and Glen Rock firefighters and Glen Rock police.
The 2½-story wood-frame house sustained smoke damage.
South Pleasant Avenue was closed between Spring Avenue and Grove Street.
It was one of three village fire calls that were quickly snuffed this afternoon. The others involved a burned-out pump in an East Franklin Avenue basement and a Liberty Street kitchen fire that spread to the second floors ( SEE: Small Ridgewood fire put down ).
Glen Rock and Waldwick responders assisted with those, as well.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.