YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: Sixteen people — including a 58-year-old man in the early stages of a heart attack — were taken to Holy Name Medical Center by Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corps after a jack-knifed tractor-trailer caused a more than 30-car pileup on southbound Route 95 in Teaneck at the Leonia border in this morning’s icy conditions.
* * * * * *
EXCLUSIVE VIDEO/PHOTOS: Unable to get a stretcher to him, a Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corps member and bystanders used a blanket to drag a 58-year-old man in the early stages of a heart attack on a blanket to a waiting ambulance following a more than 30-car pileup caused by a jack-knifed tractor trailer on Route 95 in Teaneck this morning, CLIFFVIEW PILOT video shows. CLICK HERE….
* * * * * *
One woman was freed after being pinned in an SUV below a truck in the pileup, which occurred just after 8 a.m. She was reported in stable condition.
Two TVAC ambulances and an offsite nurse participated in the rescues and transports.
The Teaneck ambulance squad and fire department also handled no fewer than 15 other motor vehicle accidents and medical calls in town, TVAC Capt. Izzy Infield told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .
• YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A 31-year-old Hackensack woman not wearing a seat belt was ejected from her Jeep after it spun out and hit a utility pole on northbound Route 208 in Wyckoff this morning. READ MORE….
• YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: The Palisades Interstate Parkway was closed from Fort Lee to Pomona, NY for three hours today while police and cleanup crews worked to assist motorists and clear the highway. READ MORE….
• Two people involved in a multi-vehicle crash on Route 287 were extricated by Franklin Lakes and Mahwah Rescue 1 firefighters, and were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern by Mahwah EMS ( see photo, below ).
• Washington Township had at least two dozen crashes, including one involving an ambulance that slid into a curb responding to a call ( see photo, below, for information ).
• NJ EMS sent mutual aid to New York City: 4 BLS from Bergen County (Westwood, Moonachie, Hackensack, Wallington); 2 BLS from Union County (Mountainside & Summit); 3 BLS from Hudson County (McCabe, North Bergen, NJSEA) in addition to elements of the NJ EMS Task Force.
CLIFFVIEW PILOT readers also reported:
• No injuries when as many as 10 vehicles, including an NJ Transit bus, were involved in a chain-reaction crash on Teaneck Avenue near DeGraw;
• 20 crashes in two and a half hour’s time, beginning around 7:30 a.m. in Lyndhurst;
• No fewer than three crashes on Route 208 south just before Saddle River Road;
• A four-car crash in Norwood at the corner of Blanch and Tappan;
• Several vehicles damaged on Miller Road near Fire Co. 1 in Mahwah;
* * * * * *
* * * * * *
A salt-spreading truck rammed a Mercedes in Woodland Park.NJ Transit also suspended bus service. The Bayonne and Goethals bridges and Outerbridge crossings were temporarily closed ( see below ).
New Jersey State Police said there had been nearly 500 crashes on the roads they patrol between midnight and noon. Most South Jersey roadways were “a skating rink,” the NJSP said.
Although temperatures were rising, police in North Jersey asked motorists to continue using caution following the early morning freezing rain that led to black ice, huge pileups and road and bridge closures throughout the state.
However, experts cautioned that it most likely will get worse this afternoon into this evening. READ MORE….
PHOTO TOP: Courtesy Arianny Luna
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.