SADDLE RIVER, N.J. -- Saddle River police are asking the public to keep their homes secure and to immediately report any suspicious people or activity in their neighborhoods after a pair of attempted burglaries.
Burglar alarms interrupted the break-ins at a development off Chestnut Ridge Road after first-floor windows were pried open, Capt. Jason Cosgriff said Sunday.
"The eyes and ears of the community are of great assistance in preventing and solving crimes," he said.
If you see someone or something suspicious, Saddle River police ask you dial 911 or call them: (201) 327-5300.
Cosgriff also urged:
• If you have an alarm system, update it and use it;
• Second-story windows should be alarmed;
• Leave interior and exterior lights on to make your home appear occupied;
• Leave a television or radio on inside your home;
• Please remove jewelry and valuables from the bedrooms;
• Remove safes from the master bedroom and their closets;
• Lock ALL doors and windows (we find many unlocked doors);
• Lock any unoccupied vehicles and remove the key fobs from them;
• Remove mail and newspapers from your driveway the day they are delivered;
• Secure any ladders on your property;
• Lock any unoccupied vehicles and remove the key fobs from them.