BERGEN COUNTY, N.J. -- The Challah Fairy in New City, N.Y. is all about making your dreams come true.
At least your Rosh Hashanah dreams. Owner Chanalee Fischer has tripled production and is working overtime in an effort to make sure everyone gets the challahs they need for the Jewish Holidays.
Rosh Hashanah is, she said, the biggest challah holiday and "an exhausting time of the year."
But the always cheerful Fischer, who's known locally at "The Challah Fairy" thanks to her bakery on North Main Street in Rockland County, knows folks need their kneaded bread to complement their chicken soup and roasts.
"We want to make sure everyone has a very sweet holiday," she said.
Among her top-sellers: crumb with vanilla crumbling. There's also sesame, everything, cinnamon, chocolate chip, raisin, cinnamon raisin, whole wheat gluten-free, and, oh yeah, traditional plain.
Fischer said the key to her success is not only the love she puts into each product, but her personality. "I love schmoozing with people," she said.
The Challah Fairy is at 170 N Main St., (845) 323-4582.
Other local spots for challah; call to check hours, availability:
- Butterflake Bakery, 448 Cedar Ln, Teaneck, (201) 836-3056, www.butterflake.com
- Challah Delish , Emily Lerer bakes challahs in her house to order. Message her on Facebook or Instagram. Her best sellers for holiday season are sweet crumb, apple honey stuffed and carmelized onion, stuffed. She guestimates she makes about 200 challahs; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rockland Bakery, 94 Demarest Mill Rd, West Nanuet, (845) 623-5800
- Sugarflake Bakery , Fair Lawn, Wyckoff, Lyndhurst and River Vale, www.sugarflakebakeshop.com
- Yochies Kosher Bakery, 217 Main Ave, Passaic, (973) 471-3080
- Zadies Kosher Bake Shop , 19-09 Fair Lawn Ave., Fair Lawn, (201) 796-6565, www.zadiesbakeshop.com